Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Venetian Peek-a-Boo

My interest in philanthropy is something I tie to my design work as well as my jewelry galleries. Contributing to non-profits is something I do on a number of levels: on-going fundraising through specially-designed pieces; one-of-a-kind, high-end designs for donation to live auctions; mid-level design for donation to silent auctions; sponsorships of both events and organizations. Add to that my participation through boards and committees, and I think you have an idea of my level of interest in philanthropy.

As it turns out, this commitment comes back to me in spades.

But, there is nothing "quick" about the process of karma. For designers and retailers who have a true and genuine interest in philanthropy (as opposed to a calculated approach to this sort of marketing), I cannot encourage you enouigh to pursue it by blending it with your passion.

I am definitely passionate about the Museum of the Rockies (http://www.museumoftherockies.org/), and when they told me this year's theme for their annual Ball was Venetian Masquerade, I let my imagination take the lead.

Shown at the top of my blog's sidebar is a picture of the result. Dubbed the Venetian Peek-a-Boo, this is a two-piece pendant crafted in 18K yellow gold with a dramatic, blackened cobalt-chrome backdrop to provide relief for the cutouts in the gold overpiece. Flush-set with tiny diamonds in strategic positions throughout...

The timely completion of this piece would not have been possible without the generous and expeditious assistance of Sarah Graham, who kept me from having to cancel a vacation in order to search for metallury books in my husband's warehouse... Thanks a million, Sarah!

No comments: